This recipe for marinara is from Rao’s restaurant and it makes the most simple, amazingly delicious spaghetti I have ever tasted.
- 2 28 oz. cans San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. pancetta, cut in small pieces (optional)
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 6 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add pancetta to pan. Saute 5 minutes or until fat has been rendered. Discard pancetta. Saute onion for 3 minutes or until translucent . Add garlic and saute until just softened. Stir in peeled tomatoes, reserved juice and salt. Reduce heat to a very low simmer and cook for about an hour or until flavors have combined and sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in basil, oregano and pepper and cook for an additional minute. Makes 7 cups.